Monday, February 20, 2012

Sewing 101

My sewing class at church started a couple of weeks ago and on the first day I was so excited, ready to learn how to be a master seamstress.


I set my station all up nice and neat, primed and expectant.
I was ready to create masterpieces.



But what I learned first is that there is a lot of prep work before you get to actually use the machine.
Measuring, pinning, cutting, ironing...




After what seemed like hours and hours of prep, I was ready to use the machine. I was a little intimidated at first, and I went really slow, but once I got started, I was more comfortable. Plus, it didn't hurt to have the teacher right there to help if I messed up.
Which I did, several times.






At first, I was only working on the project Thursdays during our class. But this week, I got an unexpected gift. Someone from the church donated a lot of stuff for my daughter's yard sale and this little beauty was among the treasures. I quickly liberated it from its fate of being sold to someone who just wouldn't love it like I could.



After Jerry tweaked a couple of things and we got new needles for it, I was thrilled to find out that it worked. It is an old model, from the 1960's but it works like a dream.
They just don't make things like they used to.


Of course, finding out that it worked prompted me to go to the store for sewing supplies.
To Wal Mart.
At 9 o'clock at night.
At least the store wasn't too crowded.



As I was perusing the craft aisles, I found this cool box full of sewing supplies for next to nothing.
It has everything I need for my newest hobby, at least for now.
Plus, look at those gorgeous colors.
Now, I suppose I will be scouring the thrift stores for pretty fabrics to make lots of new things.

I suppose I need to finish my current project first.

So, here is a sneak peek of one of the aprons that is almost complete.


Later this week, I will show off both my masterpieces for you. But, right now, it is too early in the morning for a modeling show.


Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment